It was a long and slow weekend aboard Bosco last week. We didn’t even realize that labor day was upon us (is it September already?!?!). Not much work to be accomplished. Actually its been hard for Jake and I to find things to do. We are so ready to get back to the sailing grind and travel is in our veins now. We need our fix!
Instead, we are sitting ducks for the moment. There are a slew of boat projects in the works: new solar and wind generators, a reinforced bimini with custom roof-rack mount, new batteries, new sea frost refrigerator (and freezer!!!), canvas work, plumbing jobs, custom rain-catchment system, revised rigging, hull work and handfuls of minuscule things to make Bosco a completely revolutionized cruising boat. However, the project at the forefront is the engine.
After we learned that Bosco’s engine was in critical condition, we were more than slightly disappointed. Our wonderful mechanic, Greg (at Clancy’s Marina) said that it would be best if they could remove the engine completely in order to investigate further.
I was imagining a giant forklift, several cranes and pulleys and lots of people would be required to remove the beast from its hole. So when I saw a small yellow wheelbarrow and a simple chain pulley I was a little surprised. Greg and his crew had a system rigged in no time. A few minutes later they had the engine lifted out from the compartment (using the boom to swing it off the boat) and into the wheelbarrow. I think it took them about 20 minutes in total. Much less complicated than I imagined. It was clear these guys have done this more than a few times.
Once it was wheeled away, Jake and I spent some time de-greasing the compartment. It looked strange without the engine. It looked even weirder once we had it completely cleaned out (which didn’t take as long as I imagined). The compartment looked brand new by the time we were done with it.
We got “the call” today with the status: Among many other things the cylinder block is cracked. Several important fittings are completely rusted and the transmission will need replacing. Oh yeah and an engine mount broke (apparently had been for years). Basically in order to get it back in good condition would be a complete rebuild. Unfortunately that also means a VERY sizable investment that may only be able to go another few years tops. Doesn’t sound like we have a ton of options.
This news was not completely shocking to us. We figured our luck would run this course. I mean we already invested over 6 grand into the old one just to get it functional. Its hard not to feel stupid that we wasted so much money on a losing battle. It makes me wish we had the engine surveyed before we bought the boat, so we could have at the very least known these issues beforehand. Hindsight is 20/20.
So, the verdict is out. We have to buy a new engine. It does add great value to Bosco and even more to our piece of mind. I mean we have learned so much about the yanmar diesel engine and are very well equipped to take amazing care of the new one (since we already know all the things that can go wrong!). But of course it comes at a price. A very steep price. It will put a large dent in our travel budget. I can’t deny that we are both pretty disappointed that it has come to this.
We’re getting a new Yanmar Diesel. It will be a 29 HP which will be MUCH better than the old one, which was only 24 HP. It will also have a new alternator and transmission. I think both Jake and I will have a much better time knowing that we don’t have to worry about this one big thing anymore. We’ve had enough engine-worrying to last a lifetime and we’ve barely begun! 🙂